The H1 2021 United Arab Emirates (UAE) Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship bi-annual reports providing a data-driven update on UAE's venture capital investments, as well as benchmarks startup ecosystems in the MENA region.
UAE Startup Ecosystem in H1 2021 - Key Highlights
• In H1’21, VC investment in the UAE exceeded that of FY’20 by 24%. Total funding increased by 69% YoY
• After 2 consecutive quarter-to-quarter growth sprints, UAE closed 65 deals in H1’21 accounting for 26% of all transactions in MENA
• One mega deal closed by startup Kitopi ensured that the UAE accounted for 61% of capital deployed in MENA
• Investment in Fintech over H1’21 grew by 49% YoY, while the sector accounted for 23% of all transactions closed in MENA in H1'21
• Of every five dollars invested into UAE startups, three dollars went into Food & Beverage startups with Kitopi taking the lion’s share of funding
• The UAE VC ecosystem saw a shift towards later-stage deals in H1’21 as deals sized above $3M went from accounting for 23% of all deals in FY’20 to constituting 40% of all transactions in H1’21.
• 42% of investors backing UAE-based startups were based outside MENA, while 29% were stationed in the country.
Keep the region’s latest venture data at your fingertips. Access our interactive data charts on Emerging Venture Markets
What’s In The Report?
This bi-annual report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the UAE venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of UAE venture funding evolution, with a focus on H1 ‘21 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 10 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Top 10 last exits recorded by UAE-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The UAE Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.