This report, one of MAGNiTT’s flagship productions, takes a comprehensive look at the ins and outs of venture activity across Emerging Venture Markets in 2021. In this edition, we also reveal trends across Africa, the latest addition to our portfolio of markets already covering MENA, Turkey and Pakistan.
It was a record-breaking year across the board as the venture markets covered by MAGNiTT, now including Africa, amassed a whopping $6.9B in capital across a record 1,328 deals.
In some gratifying news for investors, record number of exits were also announced in each emerging market. The number of VC transactions, number of investors backing local startups, and mega deals (rounds over $100M)- all scaled new heights in 2021 across all markets.
On the industry front, Fintech continued to lead deal count and funding amount across Emerging Venture Markets. It did particularly well in Africa where it accounted for 27% of all deals closed and 61% of total capital raised. The sector’s startups accounted for the largest share of deals across MENA and Pakistan.
Take a look at some high-level geography-specific insights from the report below.
Join our CEO Philip Bahoshy in an insightful conversation around the Venture Capital space here
Key highlights - 2022 Emerging Venture Markets Report
• $2.6Bn was recorded in VC funding in MENA in 2021- highest the region has ever seen
• MENA recovered from the slump in VC deals in 2020 to register a new record count of 590 transactions in 2021
• A record-high number of 35 startups announce exits in 2021
• With $2.7B invested in venture capital, African startups received all-time high funding in 2021
• Nigeria-based startups accounted for 36% of capital raised across Africa in 2021
• 40 African startups announced exits in 2021, as compared to just 10 in 2020
• Funding in Pakistan climbed to a new record-high of $332M in 2021
• With 78 transactions registered, 2021 marked the third consecutive year of growth of VC deals in Pakistan
• Pakistan recorded its largest round size yet as Airlift Technologies closed a $85M deal
• Turkey crossed $1B in funding for the first time in 2021
• The top 5 deals in Turkey in 2021 accounted for 65% of total capital invested
• A record number of 21 Turkish startups announced exits in 2021
What’s In The FREE Report?
This report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan and Turkey venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 and Top 5 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Top exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions