The South Africa 2022 Venture Report is MAGNiTT's debut report on the country, consolidating detailed data on the growth and trends that shape South Africa's venture capital and startup ecosystems.
After two consecutive years of decline in venture funding, South African startups benefitted from record levels of capital deployed in 2021. Funding in the country increased by 445% between 2020 and 2021.
Deal flow, on the other hand, continued its growth trajectory, rising by 8% year-over-year in 2021. In 2021, South Africa saw startups raised record-high capital raised across all-time-high yearly VC transactions. This reflected the record-breaking levels of funding and deals observed across both Africa and other Emerging Venture Markets covered by MAGNiTT (MENA, Pakistan and Turkey).
Apart from this, the number of exits and investor participation also peaked in the country.
Key Highlights - South Africa 2022 Venture Investment Report
- South Africa-headquartered startups accounted for 24% of all capital deployed across Africa in 2021
- South Africa climbed two places to rank second by funding across Africa by the end of 2021
- The number of investors that financed startups based in South Africa increased by 79% between 2020 and 2021
- More exits were recorded in South Africa in 2021 than in all previous years combined
- Two mega deals ($100M+ rounds), both by Fintech startups, were raised in South Africa in 2021
What’s In The Report?
This yearly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the continent's venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of South Africa venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2021 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year South Africa exit evolution with country breakdown
• Top 10 last exits for South Africa-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The South Africa Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.