Strongest start to any of the year’s four quarters in MENA in 2021
The capital deployed in MENA’s startups in October 2021 was higher than the opening month of the previous three quarters of the year.
The UAE recorded 14 deals in the month, now standing only one deal behind Egypt in terms of total transactions in 2021 YTD. However, amongst the UAE, KSA and Turkey, the UAE was the only one to see a decline in deals in 2021 YTD when compared to end of October in 2020.
Year-over-year, all countries in MENA saw an increase in VC funding in October YTD 2021.
Number of deals fell to the lowest across all months in 2021 in Turkey
Only eight funding rounds were closed in Turkey in October 2021- the lowest across any previous month of the year. Despite that, the total number of transactions in the year so far in Turkey was already 50 more than all deals closed in FY 2020.
Transport & Logistics startup VaVaCars closed a large round which was responsible for most venture activity in the country in October 2021.
Pakistan exceeded the number of registered transactions in FY 2020
With four more deals closed in Pakistan in October 2021, the total number of transactions in the country in 2021 YTD touched 51, two more than the figure recorded in FY 2020.
Emerging Venture Markets - October 2021 Other Key Highlight
• The total number of transactions in MENA in October 2021 dropped by 5% when compared to October 2020, while funding rose by 181%
• The Agriculture sector accounted for 44% of all capital deployed into MENA-based startups in October 2021
• The UAE edged past KSA with 8% more registered deals in 2021 by the end of October
• The VaVaCars round in Turkey accounted for 94% of all capital raised in the country in October 2021
• In the month of October 2021, one exit was recorded in both MENA and Turkey
• The average round size of the deals closed in Pakistan in October 2021 stood at $2M
This dashboard includes:
• Funding Overview: Yearly, Quarterly, and Monthly analysis of venture investment activity across each market
• Country Overview: Deal and Funding split per country along with a two-year deal and funding comparison*
• Industry Overview: Deal and Funding split per industry along with a two-year deal and funding comparison
• Funding Rounds: A list of the top 5 investments in the month of October
• Exits: A list of the last 5 rolling exits year-to-date, including acquisition amount wherever disclosed
• Investors: List and ranking of the most active investors in October 2021 and YTD
What is a dashboard?
Do you find it hard to keep up to date with the latest venture investment activity of startups from across the region? If you are an investor tracking activity, consultant looking to identify trends, or a government entity searching for investments in your geography this is your tool to stay up to date.
Why buy this report?
• A one-stop-shop for the most up to date venture activity across MENA, Turkey, and Pakistan on a monthly basis
• Identify startups and trends across the regions and industries that are important to you
• Benchmark your investment activity or find a potential investor in your venture thanks to the most active investor ranking