The October 2018 Analytics Report summarises and analyses investments in MENA-based startups, including funding trends in countries, industries and funding stages, as well as comparisons and gap analyses. October 2018 saw $287.4M invested in 17 MENA-based startups. Despite a drop in the number of deals compared to October 2017, there was an additional $251M investment in October 2018.
What is included in this report:
- Executive Summary: Snapshot including the key takeaways from the report.
- All Deals in October 2018: All MENA-based startups that received investment in October 2018, including country, industry, funding amount, funding stage, and investors.
- October 2018 Funding Overview: High-level overview and analysis of all MENA-based startup funding over time (monthly, quarterly, and yearly), including a gap analysis to the previous year.
- Funding Stage Breakdown: Analysis of the different stages of funding, such as early stage, Series A, Series B, and how they compare and change over time.
- Industry Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular industries by number of deals and funding amount in October 2018 and YTD, as well as how they change over time.
- Country Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular countries by number of deals and funding amount in October 2018 and YTD, as well as any trends over time.
- Top News in October 2018: Highlight of the top news of October 2018
A couple of key highlights of October 2018:
- 17 deals undertaken, amounting to $287.4M in disclosed funding
- YTD 2018 saw roughly the same number of startups funded compared to the same period in 2017, but a $93M drop in amount invested (excl. Careem)
- The top 3 funded startups in October 2018 were Careem ($200.0M), Wadi ($30.0M) and Unifonic ($21.0M)
October 2018 vis-à-vis October 2017:
- Deals: 14 fewer deals in October 2018 (17) compared to October 2017 (31)
- Disclosed Investments: $251M more invested in October 2018 ($287M) compared to October 2017 ($36M)
January – October 2018 vis-à-vis January – October 2017:
- Deals: 2 fewer deals in Jan-Oct 2018 (273) compared to Jan-Oct 2017 (275)
- Disclosed Investments: $93M less invested in Jan-Oct 2018 ($328M) compared to Jan-Oct 2017 ($421M) (excl. Careem)