The H1 2021 Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Venture Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship reports that provides a bi-annual update on the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the MENA region.
MENA Startup Ecosystem in H1 2021 - Key Highlights
• In H1’21, VC funding in MENA increased by 12% from FY’20, marking a quarterly and half-yearly record high level of capital deployed. VC funding in H1’21 also saw a 64% increase YoY
• Recovering from COVID-19, transactions in MENA grew by 23% and investment tripled between Q3’20 and Q2’21. Yet, number of deals closed in H1’21 saw a 20% decrease YoY
• UAE led investment growth by number of deals and funding, acquiring 61% of all MENA investments. Together, the top 3 MENA Hubs, UAE, Egypt, and KSA, accumulated 71% of capital deployed
• In H1’21, the MENA Food & Beverage sector took the biggest share of funds invested while the most amount of deals were closed by Fintech startups
• 31% of MENA-based investments were by international investors
• Nine startups from MENA recorded acquisitions in H1’21
Keep the region’s latest venture data at your fingertips. Access our interactive data charts on Emerging Venture Markets
What’s In The Report?
This bi-annual report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East and North Africa venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of MENA venture funding evolution, with a focus on H1 ‘21 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 10 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Top 10 last exits in MENA-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The MENA Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.