The 2022 Middle East and North Africa (MENA) Venture Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship reports that provides a yearly update on the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the MENA region.
The MENA region welcomed record-breaking numbers to define its fast-growing venture capital ecosystem in 2021. VC funding reach $2.6B in the year, 138% more than the funding in 2020. The number of registered transcations recovered from a slight dip in 2020, to touch an all-time high of 590 deals. Amongst other records were the 35 exits announced in the region in 2021, and the highest number of investors to finance venture based across MENA.
The evident shift towards late-stage deals was further solidified in 2021. MENA's three most active markets, UAE, KSA and Egypt, all saw a mega deal ($100M+ round) each. Both the average and median round sizes were at their highest levels yet across MENA in 2021.
Key Highlights - MENA 2022 Venture Investment Report
- $2.6Bn was recorded in VC funding in MENA in 2021- highest the region has ever seen
Three mega deals ($100M+) closed across MENA in 2021 accounted for 26% of the $2.5B raised in the region ($660M). Saudi Arabia saw Unifonic close the first ever mega deal in the country
Startups in the UAE accounted for 26% of all deals closed across MENA and 45% of all funding raised across the region in 2021
While Fintech startups closed over 100 deals in 2021, Fintech and E-commerce together constituted a third of all deals (33%) closed across MENA
MENA saw a record-high number of 35 startups announce exits in 2021
What’s In The Report?
This yearly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East and North Africa venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of MENA venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2021 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year MENA exit evolution with country breakdown
• Top 30 last exits in MENA-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The MENA Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.