The Kenya 2022 Venture Report is MAGNiTT's debut report on the country, consolidating detailed data on the growth and trends that shape Kenya's venture capital and startup ecosystems.
VC funding in Kenya was visibly impacted by the onset of the pandemic in 2020- investment dropped by 24% while the number of deals remained constant in comparison to 2019. However, the Kenyan VC ecosystem returned to the path of recovery in 2021, albeit at a relatively slower pace.
Kenya saw VC funding increase by 5% between 2020 and 2021. Although this marked a recovery from the decline in 2021, funding was still lower than the record-high achieved in 2019. The number of deals, however, reached a record-high in 2021, 14% more than in 2020.
Key Highlights - Kenya 2022 Venture Investment Report
- Kenya ranked 4th by number of deals an 5th by amount of funding across Africa in 2021
- Fintech was the leading industry in Kenya, accounting for 37% of all registered transactions in 2021
- The number of investors that backed Kenyan startups in 2021 was the highest ever in 2021, 38% more than in 2020
- A record number of five Kenyan startups announced exits in 2021
What’s In The Report?
This yearly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the continent's venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Kenya venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2021 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year Kenya exit evolution with country breakdown
• Top 10 last exits for Kenya-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The Kenya Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.