In July 2021, Egyptian startups dominated venture activity across MENA region. They secured the highest deals across MENA in the month and raised 47% of the region's capital. Meanwhile, both UAE and KSA closed seven more deals, maintaining a difference of nine in total transactions registered in the countries thus far in 2021. The month’s largest funding round was closed by Egyptian E-commerce startup MaxAB.
Outside of MENA, Turkey saw Real Estate startup Evtiko raise a $65M Series A round in July 2021. However, the capital raised in the country in July was 40% lower YoY, while deal count also dropped slightly. The Turkish ecosystem announced five new exits in July.
Although Pakistani startups raised just one-fourth of the capital they did in July 2020, the ecosystem saw its first exit since 2018.
Access all MAGNiTT published reports - Explore our new Business Solutions
Emerging Venture Markets - July 2021 Key Highlights
• With the additional capital invested in MENA in July 2021, the region’s VC ecosystem amassed 22% more capital thus far than it did in FY 2020
• July 2021 represented the lowest number of transactions in MENA in any month in 2021 YTD
• Egyptian startups accounted for 47% of venture capital raised in the month across MENA. Of the capital deployed in Egyptian startups, 57% was attributed to one startup
• E-commerce was the recipient of 45% of VC funding in MENA in July, while in Turkey 57% of capital was poured into Real Estate
• Pakistan announced is first exit since 2018 while both MENA and Turkey announced five exits each in July 2021
The July 2021 Dashboard provides a summary of venture activity for each of the three markets listed above:
• Funding Overview: Yearly, Quarterly, and Monthly analysis of venture investment activity across each market
• Country Overview: Deal and Funding split per country along with a two-year deal and funding comparison*
• Industry Overview: Deal and Funding split per industry along with a two-year deal and funding comparison
• Funding Rounds: A list of the top 5 investments in the month of July
• Exits: A list of the last 5 rolling exits year-to-date, including acquisition amount wherever disclosed
• Investors: List and ranking of the most active investors in July 2021 and YTD
What is a dashboard?
Do you find it hard to keep up to date with the latest venture investment activity of startups from across the region? If you are an investor tracking activity, consultant looking to identify trends, or a government entity searching for investments in your geography this is your tool to stay up to date.
Why buy this report?
• A one-stop-shop for the most up to date venture activity across MENA, Turkey, and Pakistan on a monthly basis
• Identify startups and trends across the regions and industries that are important to you
• Benchmark your investment activity or find a potential investor in your venture thanks to the most active investor ranking