- 8 deals undertaken amounting to $40.8M in disclosed funding.
- If we compare YTD 2018 to the same period in 2017 we have seen roughly the same number of startups funded but a considerable $148M drop in amount invested.
- The top 3 most funded startups were Phygicart ($14.5M), Mawdoo3 ($13.5M) and The Luxury Closet ($8.7M).
- Questions remain as to whether 2018 is actually looking positive. Signals suggest that the MENA region needs a strong summer period to see us keep pace with previous year funding. For example, June to August 2017 saw $300M of funding announcements.
July 2018 comparison
• Deals: 8 in July 2018
• Disclosed Investments: $40.8M in July 2018
July 2018 vis-à-vis July 2017:
- Deals: 12 fewer deals in July 2018 (8) compared to July 2017 (20)
- Disclosed Investments: $57M less invested in July 2018 ($41M) compared to July 2017 ($98M)
July 2018 vis-à-vis June 2018:
- Deals: 1 more deal in July 2018 (8) compared to June 2018 (7)
- Disclosed Investments: $35M more invested in July 2018 ($41M) compared to June 2018 ($41M)
January – July 2018 vis-à-vis January – July 2017:
- Deals: 7 more deals in Jan-Jul 2018 (155) compared to Jan-Jul 2017 (148)
- Disclosed Investments: $148M less invested in Jan-Jul 2018 ($156M) compared to Jan-Jul 2017 ($304M)