MAGNiTT’s Monthly Venture Update - January 2021
What is a dashboard?
Do you find it hard to keep up to date with the latest venture investment activity of startups from across the region? If you are an investor tracking activity, consultant looking to identify trends, or a government entity searching for investments in your geography this is your tool to stay up to date.
Why buy this report?
● A one-stop-shop for the most up to date venture activity across MENA, Turkey, and Pakistan on a monthly basis
● Identify startups and trends across the regions and industries that are important to you
● Benchmark your investment activity or find a potential investor in your venture thanks to the most active investor ranking
January 2021 Key Highlights
● MENA: Drops in both deal and funding activity compared to January 2020
● Turkey: Surge in funding activity thanks to a $100M+ Mega Deal
● Pakistan: An increase in funding activity but a drop in the number of deals, an effect of COVID-19
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.
● Light start into 2021, with declines in both total capital deployed and deal activity when compared to January 2020
● Egypt accounted for the highest share of deal activity, while Saudi Arabia saw the highest amount of funding last month
● Fintech led the way into 2021 with the highest number of investments, one of MENA's fastest-growing tech sectors
● With a $100M+ Mega Deal, Turkey saw exponential growth in funding activity
● Consumer Services saw the second-highest share of funding last month after Delivery & Logistics
● Top 10 funding rounds accounted for over 70% of total funding last month, 69% of which was due to the $100M+ deal
● 60% increase in total capital deployed while seeing a slight dip in deal activity, compared to January 2020
● E-Commerce startups accounted for the lion's share of deal and funding activity at the beginning of the year
● No startup exits took place in Pakistan since July 2018, when Daraz was acquired by the conglomerate Alibaba Group
The January 2021 Dashboard provides a summary of venture activity for each of the three markets listed above:
● Funding Overview: Yearly, Quarterly, and Monthly analysis of venture investment activity across each market
● Country Overview: Deal and Funding split per country 2021 along with a two-year deal and funding comparison*
● Industry Overview: Deal and Funding split per industry 2021 along with a two-year deal and funding comparison
● Funding Rounds: A list of the top 10 investments in the month of January
● Exits: A list of the last 5 rolling exits year-to-date, including acquisition amount wherever disclosed
● Investors: List and ranking of the most active investors over the last two years and YTD
Below is a sample of the January 2021 Venture Investment Dashboard:
Want to access more? Gain access to all our dashboards, bespoke reports, and directories with a MAGNiTT subscription. View our plans HERE.