The January 2018 Analytics Report summarises and analyses investments in MENA-based startups, including funding trends in countries, industries and funding stages, as well as comparisons and gap analyses. January 2018 saw $5.8M invested in 15 MENA-based startups, which was the slowest start to the year in recent history in terms of number of deals and investments.
What is included in this report:
- Executive Summary: Snapshot including the key takeaways from the report.
- All Deals in January 2018: All MENA-based startups that received investment in January 2018, including country, industry, funding amount, funding stage, and investors.
- January 2018 Funding Overview: High-level overview and analysis of all MENA-based startup funding over time (monthly, quarterly, and yearly), including a gap analysis to the previous year.
- Funding Stage Breakdown: Analysis of the different stages of funding, such as early stage, Series A, Series B, and how they compare and change over time.
- Industry Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular industries by number of deals and funding amount in January 2018 and YTD, as well as how they change over time.
- Country Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular countries by number of deals and funding amount in January 2018 and YTD, as well as any trends over time.
- Top News in January 2018: Highlight of the top news of January 2018
- January saw a slow start to the year with only 15 deals recorded
- 6 of the deals were disclosed amounting to $5.8M
- This was the slowest start to the year in recent history by # of deals and $ investments
- Expect there to be a pick up in activity as the month progresses
- Find a delay in announcements that get back dated as the quarter develops
- Tamatem - $2.5m
- Eyewa - $1.1m
- MoneyFellows - $600k
- 12 of the 15 deals took place at the SEED Stage with 1 Angel investment and 2 disclosed at Series A
- 6 of the deals occurred in the UAE, 2 in Palestine, Jordan and Lebanon with 1 in KSA, Tunisia and Egypt respectively
- Investments were spread evenly across 9 different industries in January