As MAGNiTT continues to keep a close watch on the Saudi Arabian venture capital space, we release a new report on the ecosystem with the support of the Saudi Venture Capital Company (SVC). The half-yearly report is packed with detailed insights on the ecosystem’s evolution over the years and covers key aspects of venture activity in H1 2021.
هل ترغب بالحصول على النسخة العربية من التقرير مجاناً؟ انقر هنا
Despite 2020 being a positive year for venture funding, 2021 has thus far witnessed a resurgence of sorts. The first half of the year saw half-yearly capital reach a record high, the equivalent of 94% of funding invested in Saudi startups in all of 2020. This was distributed across 41% fewer deals than in FY 2020. Yet, KSA saw its deal flow move closer to the top-ranked MENA ecosystem in the UAE, reducing the gap by 8x in just two years. Fintech startups were responsible for almost one-fourth of these transactions. E-commerce, on the other hand, saw a decline in its contribution to deals, as it did across MENA.
Check out a quick overview of the report's key takeaways below.
H1 2021 Saudi Arabia Venture Capital Report – Highlights
• Year-over-year, VC Funding in KSA increased by 65% in H1 2021
• KSA witnessed record levels of half-yearly capital raised in H1 2021, accounting for 14% of VC funding across MENA
• KSA surpassed Egypt to rank second by share of total MENA funding, while accounting for 22% of the region’s VC transactions
• In H1 2021, every fourth deal in KSA was closed by a Fintech startup, while E-commerce saw a 54% decline in capital
• Together, Fintech and Food & Beverage startups accounted for 44% of capital deployed in the country in the half-year
• Almost three-fourth of investors that backed Saudi-based startups in H1 2021 were based within the country
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, which is a comprehensive directory of emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey
• Market sizing tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies and stage
• Startup resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Keep the region's latest venture data on your fingertips. Access our interactive data charts on Emerging Venture Markets