The Fintech H1 2022 Emerging Venture Markets (EVM) Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship industry reports that takes a comprehensive look at the sector’s half-year performance in 2022 within the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the Middle East, Africa Turkey, and Pakistan.
• FinTech remained the industry of choice across the Emerging Venture Markets making it the highest-funded industry. The sector aggregated $1,679M in funding recording YoY growth of 220% (2x) compared to H1 2021. 67% of the total capital deployed was raised in Q1, whereas Q2 saw a 52% decline in funding and a 44% decline in the number of deals.
• Payment Solutions was the top subsector for investors this year amassing 42% of all the investments made into FinTech with a funding growth of 152% YoY compared to H1 2021.
• The influx of capital helped boosted the Mean and Median round size across MEAPT. On the other hand, Africa and MENA showed a decline in the round size of larger deals ($20M+).
• Nigeria, UAE, South Africa, Kenya, and Egypt accounted for 75% of the total investment in FinTech. The MENA region had the highest consolidation with 99% of the investment being in just four countries (UAE, Egypt, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia)
• With $561M, the sector was championed by Nigeria driving 33% of the total capital investment.
• The total number of active international Investors increased across EVMs. USA-based investors were at the top of the list, except in Turkey, where 60% of all investors were Turkey-based. Of all the active investors in H1 2022, 26% in MENA, 39% in Africa, and 25% in Pakistan were USA-based investors.
• FinTech closed 3 MEGA deals ($100M+) in the first half of 2022. Two of these deals were credited to Nigeria (Flutterwave - $250M and Interswitch - $110M), while the third deal was closed by Bahrain-based Rain ($110M).
What’s In The Report?
This report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey Fintech venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Fintech venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly Fintech funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 startup Fintech funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Fintech exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions