The Fintech 2022 Emerging Venture Markets (EVM) Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship industry reports that takes a comprehensive look at the sector’s full-year performance in 2021 within the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the Middle East, Africa Turkey and Pakistan.
Fintech has been a prominent beneficiary of the return of a risk-on approach by investors globally in 2021. Both funding deployed into the industry and the number of deals closed by Fintech startups scaled to a record-high in 2021, growing by 550% and 56% YoY repectively.
Fintech ranked in the top 3 industries by both funding and deals across the Middle East, Africa and Pakistan. Across all Emerging Venture Markets (including Turkey), the industry accounted for one-fifth of all VC deals (21%) and 31% of all venture capital deployed into startups.
Take a look at some high-level geography-specific insights from the report below.
To keep track of real-time data on Fintech funding and deals, contact our sales team here
Key highlights - Fintech 2022 Venture Investment Report
• Fintech startups recorded a 183% year-over-year growth in funding in 2021 - the highest yearly growth rate over the past five years.
• Most of the Fintech deals (32%) and funding (49%) across MENA in 2021 was focused in the UAE
• Four exits were announced by Fintech startups in 2021- highets in a single year
• Funding poured into Fintech startups in Africa grew by 852% between 2020 and 2021
• Fintech startups raised a total of five mega deals ($100M+ rounds) in Africa in 20211
• Eleven Fintech startups announced exits across Africa in 2021
• In a record 2021, the YoY growth in both funding (+2,571%) and deals (+300%) noted by Pakistan’s Fintech startups was the highest across all Emerging Venture Markets
• 15 times more investors backed Pakistan’s fintech startups in 2021 than in 2020
• Fintech ranked 1st in Pakistan by deal count in 2021
• 2021 was a record year for Fintech deals and funding in Turkey
• The highest ever Fintech round in Turkey was closed in 2021
• One Fintech startup announced its acquisition in 2021
What’s In The Report?
• A 5-year analysis of Fintech venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly Fintech funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 startup Fintech funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Fintech exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions