EVM H1 2022 Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT’s flagship productions. It takes a comprehensive look at the ins and outs of venture activity across Emerging Venture Markets including MENA, Africa, Turkey and Pakistan.
Sign-up for our EVM Webinar for a deep-dive into the H1 2022 Emerging Venture Markets Report
After a record-breaking year in 2021, the EVM VC ecosystem amassed $5.1Bn in H1 2022 over 754 deals, aggregating 70% of total investment raised in FY 2021. A slowdown in VC activity as a result of global market pressures, however, has surfaced over Q2 2022 and is expected to continue through the next 2 quarters of the year.
In a top story for the VC ecosystem in EVMs, Exit activity across MEAPT reached a new half-yearly record in 2022. Over the first 6 months, the ecosystem recorded 67 Exits, 20 less than that closed last year, yet 18 more than FY 2020. Mega Deal prominence this year was not only another funding highlight, but also attracted over $2Bn in funds across Bahrain, KSA, UAE, Kenya, Nigeria, and Turkey accounting for more than 40% of total capital raised across EVMs over H1 2022.
On the industry front, FinTech continues to reign both in terms of deal count and funding raised across Emerging Venture Markets. The sector was led by the African region accounting for 60% of the total funding raised across the MEAPT region.
Take a look at some high-level geography-specific insights from the report below.
Key highlights - H1 2022 Emerging Venture Markets Report
• $1.68Bn was recorded in VC funding in MENA in H1 2022 - driven by a record-breaking first quarter
• MENA closed 300 deals in H1 2022 including 3 Mega Deals ($100M+)
• 33 total Exits were announced this year - just 2 Exits short of last year’s record-high number
• After a record-breaking first quarter, Africa managed to cross the $2Bn mark in the first six months of the year
• Nigeria’s Flutterwave closed the biggest deal making it the most funded geography of the region
• 20 African startups announced exits in H1 2022
• Pakistan has aggregated $249M in H1'22, accounting for 75% of last year’s total funding
• The region closed a total of 35 deals in the first 6 months of the year
• Pakistan recorded the largest E-commerce round across EVM’s this year so far with Bazaar’s $70M Series B
• Turkey crossed the $1Bn mark in funding in just the first six months of the year
• Turkey raised multiple Mega Deals this year including Getir’s unprecedented $768M
• 16 Exits were announced by Turkish startups in H1 2022
What’s In The FREE Report?
This report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan and Turkey venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 and Top 5 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• Top exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories - a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons - looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions