The Q1 2022 Egypt Venture Report provides a quarterly update on the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the MENA region.
The VC ecosystem in Egypt has explored a grounded start to the investment year, recording the highest YoY funding growth of the top MENA markets. Growing by 457% compared to Q1 2021, the $156M raised in the first 3 months of 2022 was 13% higher than the total capital invested in FY 2019 and 79% higher than that of Q4'21. Egypt starts at a close footing from its peer Emerging Venture Markets, ranking 3rd by total funding & transaction in MENA, 3rd by total funding, and 2nd by total transactions in Africa over Q1 2022.
While Egypt harbored the highest proportion of investment rounds less than $1M (39%) compared to its peer top MENA markets like KSA (19%) or the UAE (35%), we've also recorded a growth in sizable investments where the Egyptian ecosystem was able to raise more funding than FY'19 over 72% fewer deals.
Key Highlights - Egypt Q1 2022 Venture Investment Report
- $156M was recorded in VC funding in Egypt over in Q1 2022- recording the highest QoQ funding growth (457%) of the top MENA markets
While Egypt recorded fewer deals in the first two months of 2022 than the same time last year, the ecosystem observed a 27% growth in total transactions QoQ
Egypt surpassed its peer MENA markets by the proportion of transactions less than $1M accounting for 39% of total transactions in Q1 2022 while also observing a growth in the ($1M-$5M) bracket size to account for 39% as well
While the E-commerce sector closed the lion’s share of the 39 transactions in Egypt in 2022 YTD, FinTech was able to rise 3 ranks to become this quarter’s most-funded sector accounting for 44% of all capital invested
The 4 exits recorded in Egypt over the first quarter of the year were 3 less than FY 2021, signaling an integral start for the ecosystem
What’s In The Report?
This quarterly report provides a comprehensive deep dive into the Egyptian VC ecosystem with an overview of the Middle East and Africa venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Egypt venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2022 YTD country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 10 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year analysis of Egypt's exit evolution with a country benchmark breakdown
• Top 10 last exits by Egypt-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The Egypt Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.