The 2022 Egypt Venture Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship reports that provides a yearly update on the venture capital and startup ecosystems in Egypt.
The Egyptian ecosystem grew by 176% year-over-year to hit record-high VC funding in 2021. The number of deals, too, were the highest ever noted in the ecosystem. The ecosystem saw three consecutive half-yearly periods of growth in deal flow and funding activity.
In 2021, Egyptian startup Halan closed the largest round recorded in the country yet. Amongst other records, the number of investors that financed Egyptian startups in 2021 rose to the highest number ever- growing by 65% year-over-year. The number of exits, too, climbed to an all-time-high. Global VC giant Sequoia Capital made its debut investment in the MENA region starting with an Egyptian venture.
Fintech led deal flow activity in Egypt, like it did across the Middle East and Africa. It accounted for 17% of all deals closed in the country.
Key Highlights - Egypt 2022 Venture Investment Report
- The Egyptian VC ecosystem grew at a CAGR of 109% between 2015 and 2021
- Egypt accounted for 15% of all transactions in and 11% of all capital deployed across the Middle East and Africa in 2021
- The five largest deals in Egypt accounted for 53% of the total capital invested in the country in 2021
- The majority of funding rounds closed in Egypt in 2021 were sized under $500K
- Seven Egypt-based startups announced exits in 2021- the highest in a single year
What’s In The Report?
This yearly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into Egypt's venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Egypt venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2021 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year Egypt exit evolution with country breakdown
• Top 10 last exits in Egypt-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The Egypt Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.