The E-commerce 2022 Emerging Venture Markets (EVM) Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship industry reports that takes a comprehensive look at the sector’s full-year performance in 2021 within the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the Middle East, Africa Turkey and Pakistan.
The E-commerce space across EVMs was able to break the 2 QoQ consecutive dips in capital investment and total transactions in Q1 2022. Both funding deployed into the industry and the number of deals closed by E-commerce startups grew by 63% and 6% since Q4’21 respectively.
E-commerce ranked in the top 3 industries by total funding across the Middle East, Africa, and Pakistan. Across all Emerging Venture Markets (including Turkey), the industry accounted for 10% of all VC deals and 9% of all venture capital deployed into startups.
Take a look at some of the top-level geography-specific insight from the report below.
Access this and many data-driven reports like it. Subscribe to our platform today
Key highlights - E-commerce 2022 Venture Investment Report
• Funding into E-commerce observed a 149% quarter-on-quarter growth to cross the $100M mark in Q1 2022
• While the KSA accounted for 59% of total capital deployed in E-commerce in Q1 2022, Egypt closed 43% of total transactions
• 2 exits were announced by E-commerce startups in Q1 2022 by the same acquirer
• The E-commerce space in Africa observed a 1,000% QoQ growth in funding over Q1 2022
• The highest funding round closed by Egypt-based Social commerce platform Brimore ($15M Series A) accounted for 45% of total capital invested in the sector in Q1’22
• 60% of total investors backing Africa-based E-commerce startups over Q1 2022 were international backers
• Deals closed and funding raised by Turkish E-commerce startups grew by 1,977% and 33% compared to Q1’21 respectively
• 1 deal closed by social commerce platform n11.com ($50M) accounted for 77% of total funding in the sector over Q1 2022
• 4 investors were responsible for deals recorded in the sector in Q1 2022
What’s In The Report?
This report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey E-commerce venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of E-commerce venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly E-commerce funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 startup E-commerce funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• E-commerce exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions