The E-commerce H1 2022 Emerging Venture Markets (EVM) Venture Investment Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship industry reports that takes a comprehensive look at the sector’s half-year performance in 2022 within the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the Middle East, Africa Turkey, and Pakistan.
• The E-commerce sector has had a record first half of the year with startups across MEAPT raising $501M in H1 over 81 deals with a YoY growth of 89% in funding compared to H1. While H1 was a record-high, it was driven majorly by Q1 with Q2 being the lowest quarter since the start of 2021. The lion’s share of transactions was recorded by Africa.
• E-commerce across the Emerging Venture Markets jumped 2 spots to become the third most funded industry after Fintech and Transport & Logistics, whereas the total number of transactions saw a dip of 2% compared to H1’21.
• With just 7 deals, $20M+ rounds accounted for 60% of the total funding secured by the region while an equal proportion (34%) of deals was recorded in the $0K-$1M and $1M-$5M bracket sizes.
• Egypt recorded the highest number of transactions while Pakistan topped the funding charts for E-commerce aggregating $100M+ in H1 2022 driven by Bazaar Technologies’ $70M round.
• The top 5 funded countries, Pakistan, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Kenya, accounted for 83% of the total capital deployed in E-commerce. The highest number of transactions was recorded by startups based in Sub-Saharan Africa.
• 177 global and regional investors invested in E-commerce startups across MEAPT with the MENA region having the highest proportion of local investors. On the other hand, the majority of investors in Sub-Saharan Africa were global with US-based investors accounting for 42% of the total number.
• E-commerce startups recorded the highest number of Exits (12) in H1, just two short of the total number seen over FY 2021. Africa led with a total of 8 Exits, followed by the Middle East (4).
What’s In The Report?
This report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey E-commerce venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of E-commerce venture funding evolution, with a focus on country and industry performance benchmarks
• A 2-year quarterly E-commerce funding breakdown and comparison of all Emerging Venture Markets
• Top 10 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms
• Top 10 startup E-commerce funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• E-commerce exit evolution across all Emerging Venture Markets
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions