Venture Investment in Africa over Q1 2022 with country, industry, investor, and Exit breakdown
Register for our first-ever Africa VC Panel to get a FREE & exclusive deep dive into the African VC landscape.
The Q1 2022 Africa Venture Report is one of MAGNiTT's flagship reports that provides a quarterly update on the venture capital and startup ecosystems in the region.
The African VC ecosystem continues to reach new records as capital investment flows steadily well into the first quarter of the year. Observing a 230% QoQ growth compared to Q1’21, the African VC ecosystem recorded the highest first quarter of funding since 2015 to reach 43% of all investments raised in FY 2021. Along with Turkey, Africa remains the only EVM covered at MAGNiTT to cross the $1Bn mark in Q1’22 aggregating north of $1.2Bn.
While Nigeria remains the dominant geography both in total transactions closed and capital invested, Kenya climbed 3 ranks to become the second-most funded and third-most transacting ecosystem in Africa over Q1’21 compared to FY 2022 rankings. Each recording 1 Mega Round ($100M+), the two geographies accounted for 67% of all funds raised in Q1’22.
Stay up to date on the latest news, funding insights, and top stories from Africa. Sign up for our Africa Monthly Newsletter
Key Highlights - Africa Q1 2022 Venture Investment Report
- $1,235M was raised in venture funding in Africa over the first quarter of the year; the highest first quarter of funding since 2015
2 Mega Deals ($100M+) were recorded in Africa in the FinTech and B2B commerce categories accounting for 37% of funds raised in Q1'22
Startups in Nigeria accounted for 33% of all deals closed across Africa and 35% of all funding raised across the region in 2022 YTD
Fintech remains the industry of choice in Africa driving 54% of all capital invested in the first quarter. T&L, E-commerce, and Retail were top contenders in funding & deals closed
11 exits were recorded in the first quarter of the year with almost half (5 Exits) recorded by South African startups
What’s In The Report?
This quarterly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the continent's venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Africa venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2022 YTD country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year Africa exit evolution with country benchmark breakdown
• Top 10 last exits by Africa-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The Africa Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.
*This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 17 countries in the Middle East and North Africa - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.