The Africa 2022 Venture Report is MAGNiTT's debut report on the region, consolidating detailed data on the growth and trends that shape the region's venture capital and startup ecosystems.
After grappling with the pandemic throughout 2020, venture capitalists and investors moved back to actively making investments in 2021 globally. This was starkly visible in Africa as the region recovered from a slow down of venture activity in 2020 to record massive numbers in 2021.
The region finished 2021 just shy of $3B, as funding raised by African startups more than tripled between 2020 and 2021. The numebr of VC deals closed in Africa also reached an all-time-high. With growing international interest, mega-deals ($100M+ round) and unicorns prospered in the region.
Key Highlights - Africa 2022 Venture Investment Report
- Funding in African startups increased by 250% year-over-year to hit record-high in 2021
- 44% of capital deployed in Africa in 2021 was raised through mega $100M+ deals
- 77% of total VC deals closed across Africa involved startups based in the big four markets- Nigeria, South Africa, Egypt and Kenya
- Fintech was the most popular industry for investsments, accounting for 61% of all capital deployed across the continent in 2021
- The number of investors backing African startups was the highest ever in 2021- 69% more than 2020
What’s In The Report?
This yearly report provides a comprehensive overview and a deep dive into the continent's venture capital and funding investment space and includes the following:
• A 5-year analysis of Africa venture funding evolution, with a focus on 2021 country and industry performance benchmarks
• Top 20 investor ranking, together with the business type and HQ analysis of all investment firms in the region
• Top 20 startup funding rounds that were closed during the analyzed period, as well as the ticket size split of the entire deal flow
• A 5-year Africa exit evolution with country breakdown
• Top 10 last exits for Africa-based startups
Who will benefit from the report?
The Africa Venture Investment Report is ideal for investors tracking startup activity, consultants looking to identify technology innovation trends, as well as government entities searching for investments.
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, a comprehensive directory of technology innovation trends. The platform provides the following analytics tools:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, Africa, Pakistan, and Turkey
• Market Sizing Tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies, and stage
• Startup Resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
Sign-up for a demo to learn more about how our platform can help you make data-driven decisions.