August 2018 Analytics Report
The August 2018 Analytics Report summarises and analyses investments in MENA-based startups, including funding trends in countries, industries and funding stages, as well as comparisons and gap analyses. August 2018 saw $7.1M invested in 8 MENA-based startups. This was $30M less than August 2017 which had $37M in disclosed investments. There were also 30 fewer deals in August 2018 (8) compared to August 2017 (38).
What is included in this report:
- Executive Summary: Snapshot including the key takeaways from the report.
- All Deals in August 2018: All MENA-based startups that received investment in August 2018, including country, industry, funding amount, funding stage, and investors.
- August 2018 Funding Overview: High-level overview and analysis of all MENA-based startup funding over time (monthly, quarterly, and yearly), including a gap analysis to the previous year.
- Funding Stage Breakdown: Analysis of the different stages of funding, such as early stage, Series A, Series B, and how they compare and change over time.
- Industry Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular industries by number of deals and funding amount in August 2018 and YTD, as well as how they change over time.
- Country Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular countries by number of deals and funding amount in August 2018 and YTD, as well as any trends over time.
- Top News in August 2018: Highlight of the top news of August 2018
A couple of key highlights of August 2018:
- 5 deals undertaken, amounting to $7.1M in disclosed funding
- YTD 2018 saw roughly the same number of startups funded compared to the same period in 2017, but a considerable $173M drop in amount invested
- The top 3 funded startups in August 2018 were Shedul ($5.0M), SEEZ ($1.0M) and Nawah Scientific ($0.65M)
August 2018 comparison
• Deals: 5 in August 2018
• Disclosed Investments: $7.1M in August 2018
August 2018 vis-à-vis August 2017:
- Deals: 30 fewer deals in August 2018 (5) compared to August 2017 (35)
- Disclosed Investments: $30M less invested in August 2018 ($7M) compared to August 2017 ($37M)
August 2018 vis-à-vis July 2018:
- Deals: the same number of deals in August 2018 (5) compared to July 2018 (7)
- Disclosed Investments: $34M less invested in August 2018 ($7M) compared to July 2018 ($41M)
January – August 2018 vis-à-vis January – August 2017:
- Deals: 6 fewer deals in Jan-Aug 2018 (188) compared to Jan-Aug 2017 (194)
- Disclosed Investments: $173M less invested in Jan-Aug 2018 ($165M) compared to Jan-Aug 2017 ($339M)
Purchase August 2018 Analytics Report