July 2018 Analytics Report
The July 2018 Analytics Report summarises and analyses investments in MENA-based startups, including funding trends in countries, industries and funding stages, as well as comparisons and gap analyses. July 2018 saw $40.8M invested in 8 MENA-based startups. This was $57M short of July 2017 which had $98M in disclosed investments. There were also 12 fewer deals in July 2018 (8) compared to July 2017 (20).
What is included in this report:
- Executive Summary: Snapshot including the key takeaways from the report.
- All Deals in July 2018: All MENA-based startups that received investment in July 2018, including country, industry, funding amount, funding stage, and investors.
- July 2018 Funding Overview: High-level overview and analysis of all MENA-based startup funding over time (monthly, quarterly, and yearly), including a gap analysis to the previous year.
- Funding Stage Breakdown: Analysis of the different stages of funding, such as early stage, Series A, Series B, and how they compare and change over time.
- Industry Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular industries by number of deals and funding amount in July 2018 and YTD, as well as how they change over time.
- Country Breakdown: Analysis of the most popular countries by number of deals and funding amount in July 2018 and YTD, as well as any trends over time.
- Top News in July 2018: Highlight of the top news of July 2018
July proved to be a busy month! In fact, it was the second busiest month in 2018 by amount invested. A couple of key highlights for you:
- 8 deals undertaken amounting to $40.8M in disclosed funding.
- If we compare YTD 2018 to the same period in 2017 we have seen roughly the same number of startups funded but a considerable $148M drop in amount invested.
- The top 3 most funded startups were Phygicart ($14.5M), Mawdoo3 ($13.5M) and The Luxury Closet ($8.7M).
- Questions remain as to whether 2018 is actually looking positive. Signals suggest that the MENA region needs a strong summer period to see us keep pace with previous year funding. For example, June to August 2017 saw $300M of funding announcements.
July 2018 comparison
• Deals: 8 in July 2018
• Disclosed Investments: $40.8M in July 2018
July 2018 vis-à-vis July 2017:
- Deals: 12 fewer deals in July 2018 (8) compared to July 2017 (20)
- Disclosed Investments: $57M less invested in July 2018 ($41M) compared to July 2017 ($98M)
July 2018 vis-à-vis June 2018:
- Deals: 1 more deal in July 2018 (8) compared to June 2018 (7)
- Disclosed Investments: $35M more invested in July 2018 ($41M) compared to June 2018 ($41M)
January – July 2018 vis-à-vis January – July 2017:
- Deals: 7 more deals in Jan-Jul 2018 (155) compared to Jan-Jul 2017 (148)
- Disclosed Investments: $148M less invested in Jan-Jul 2018 ($156M) compared to Jan-Jul 2017 ($304M)
Purchase July 2018 Analytics Report