Pakistan’s startup ecosystem saw $77M invested in startups, which was double the amount compared to 2019 (a +97% increase). The number of deals was also up by 45% - reversing the general trend in MENA countries, where deals were down
This report includes venture investment analysis for transactions in 2020:
• Within the last five years, when excluding the $89M CarFirst Series B round in 2018, 2020 Pakistan saw a record high level of VC funding.
• Despite COVID-19, VC funding and deals were up across all quarters, compared to 2019, with Q3 2020 leading the way for funding with $40M invested during this time.
• A total of 45 investors participated in at least one startup deal in Pakistan-based startups in 2020 with Karavan being the most active by taking part in 6 disclosed deals.
• At $49M, the top 5 startup deals in Pakistan accounted for 64% of all capital deployed in Pakistani startups in 2020, with only two deals (Airlift and Bykea) crossing the $10M threshold.
• COVID-19 impacted industries led the way in terms of startup deals in Pakistan, with E-Commerce, FinTech, Healthcare and Education startups collectively accounting for 61% of all deals in 2020.
This summary is part of MAGNiTT’s 2021 Emerging Venture Markets Report, which you can download to get additional insights on Pakistan, as well as venture data on Turkey and MENA’s startup ecosystems.
Download the free EVM Report
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, which is a comprehensive directory of emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey
• Market sizing tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies and stage
• Startup resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.