State of Startup Funding - 2021 Emerging Venture Markets Report
For more insights on the state of startups in the region, MAGNiTT's CEO Philip Bahoshy will be hosting four prominent investors in our annual investor roundtable session.
• In MENA, the UAE ranked 1st and accounted for the lion’s share of total funding and the highest number of deals in MENA. Egypt ranked 2nd for both total funding, and the fast-growing KSA ranked 3rd for total funding
• In MENA, Lebanon and Bahrain also saw dramatic changes in 2020. Lebanon witnessed a steep drop in the number of deals, while Bahrain saw the capital deployed in startups triple (up 200%)
• In Pakistan, the $77M invested in startups was double that of 2019 (a +97% increase). The number of deals was also up by 45% - reversing the general trend in MENA countries, where deals were down
• In Turkey, the $383M invested in Turkey-based startups was almost triple that of 2019 (a +182% increase). The number of startups getting investment also increased by 10%
* This report aggregates and analyses tech startup investments in 19 countries in emerging venture markets (EVMs) - listed alphabetically: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia (KSA), Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Yemen.
Access previous Venture Capital Funding Reports:
This report was created with data from MAGNiTT, which is a comprehensive directory of emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
• Investment directories, a comprehensive list of all startup venture funding across the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey
• Market sizing tools to visualize investment growth and trends across industries, geographies and stage
• Startup resources including a deal flow tool for applications to leading Venture Capitalists for investment
• Exit comparisons, looking at Mergers & Acquisitions from across the region
If you aren’t already a client, sign up for a free trial to learn more about our platform.