Village Capital Funding Application
Village Capital leverages entrepreneurship to drive impact at scale. We are the largest organization in the world supporting impact-driven, seed-stage startups. Since 2009 our team has directly worked with more than 1,100 entrepreneurs in 28 countries, and our affiliated fund, VilCap Investments, has invested in 110 startups that have gone on to raise more than $500 million in follow-on capital.
At Village Capital we're interested in systems-level change to make impact investing more inclusive and empower a wider range of entrepreneurs. Since 2009, when we first rolled out our unique peer-selected investment process, we have been designing, honing and sharing new tools, technology and processes to drive capital to a broader set of entrepreneurs, solving problems in sectors that impact people's ability to live healthy and productive lives, improve the chance for small businesses to succeed, and create a more sustainable environment. We’re focused on supporting entrepreneurs who are building solutions in three core thematic areas — Sustainability, Financial Health, and the Future of Work.
Overall factors we consider:
• Focus on addressing inequity: Solutions supporting communities facing financial health inequities based on race, age, gender, geographic location, income level.
• Focus on non-”HENRYs”: Solutions primarily focused on low-to-moderate income communities as end beneficiaries, as opposed to “HENRYs”.
• Focus on agency: Solutions that empower users with agency over their financial decisions.
• Cultural and behavioral sensitivity: Solutions that use a creative, cultural, and behavioral lens.
Eligible startups must have:
• For-profit market-based solution that tackles a financial health challenge for low-to-moderate income communities in MENA or Turkey
• Operations in or have the ability to expand business to the MENA or Turkish market
• Have a minimum viable product (MVP), and raised less than $1M in equity
• Have at least one full-time founder based in the MENA or Turkey
• Have meaningful customer or business validation (not limited to revenue, can also be successful pilot studies, number of users, and/or strategic partnerships)